Home > MCAT Test > MCAT physics practice tests
See All test questions
Take more free MCAT physics practice tests available from maintests.com.
1. If the work function of a metal is 6.622 × 10–20 J and a ray of electromagnetic radiation with a frequency of 1.0 × 1014 Hz is incident on the metal, what will be the speed of the electrons ejected from the metal? (Note: h = 6.626 × 10-34 J·s and me- = 9.1 × 10-31 kg)
2. What is the wavelength of a photon that causes an electron to be emitted from a metal with a kinetic energy of 50 J? (Note: The work function of the metal is 16 J, and h = 6.626 × 10-34 J·s)
3. Which of the following statements is inconsistent with the Bohr model of the atom?
4. When a hydrogen atom electron falls to the ground state from the n = 2 state, 10.2 eV of energy is emitted. What is the wavelength of this radiation? (Note: 1 eV = 1.60 × 10-19 J, and h = 6.626 × 10-34 J·s.)
5. The figure below illustrates an electron with initial energy of –10 eV moving from point A to point B. What change accompanies the movement of the electron?
6. Ultraviolet light is more likely to induce a current in a metal than visible light. This is because photons of ultraviolet light:
7. All of the following statements about the photoelectric effect are true EXCEPT:
8. What is the binding energy of the argon-40 isotope in MeV? (Note: mproton = 1.0073 amu, mneutron = 1.0087 amu, mAr-40 nucleus = 39.9132 amu,)
9. Which of the following correctly identifies the following process?
10. Consider the following fission reaction.
The masses of the species involved are given in atomic mass units below each species, and 1 amu can create 932 MeV of energy. What is the energy liberated due to transformation of mass into energy during this reaction?
11. Element X is radioactive and decays via α decay with a half-life of four days. If 12.5 percent of an original sample of element X remains after n days, what is the value of n?
12. A graph of an exponential decay process is created. The y-axis is the natural logarithm of the ratio of the number of intact nuclei at a given time to the number of intact nuclei at time t = 0. The x-axis is time. What does the slope of such a graph represent?
13. A certain carbon nucleus dissociates completely into α particles. How many particles are formed?
14. The half-life of carbon-14 is approximately 5730 years, while the half-life of carbon-12 is essentially infinite. If the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12 in a certain sample is 25% less than the normal ratio in nature, how old is the sample?
15. A nuclide undergoes two alpha decays, two positron decays, and two gamma decays. What is the difference between the atomic number of the parent nuclide and the atomic number of the daughter nuclide?
* MCAT is a registered trademark of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). This website is not endorsed or approved by AAMC.
All content of site and practice tests copyright © 2015 Max.sitemap
contactlink to us