Home > MCAT Test > MCAT physics practice tests
See All test questions
Take more free MCAT physics practice tests available from maintests.com.
1. If a light ray has a frequency of 5.0 × 1014 Hz, in which region of the electromagnetic spectrum is it located?
2. A child stands between two mirrors with his arms out, perpendicular to the mirrors. One plane mirror is 5 m away from his left hand and another plane mirror is 7 m away from his right hand. How far apart are the two images produced by the mirrors if the child has an arm span of 0.5 m?
3. An object is placed at the center of curvature of a concave mirror. Which of the following is true about the image?
4. When monochromatic light is refracted as it passes from air to glass, which of the following does NOT remain the same? (Note: Assume that the wave is fully transmitted.)
5. A ray of light (f = 5 × 1014 Hz) travels from air into crystal into chromium. If the indices of refraction of air, crystal, and chromium are 1, 2, and 3, respectively, and the incident angle is 30°, then which of the following describes the frequency and the angle of refraction in the chromium?
6. A source of light (f = 6.0 × 1014 Hz) passes through three plane polarizers. The first two polarizers are in the same direction, while the third is rotated 90° with respect to the second polarizer. What is the frequency of the light that comes out of the third polarizer?
7. Which phenomenon would cause monochromatic light entering the prism along path AB to leave along path CD?
8. Which of the following describes the image formed by an object placed in front of a convex lens at a distance smaller than the focal length?
9. A submarine is inspecting the surface of the water with a laser that points from the submarine to the surface of the water and through the air. At what angle will the laser not penetrate the surface of the water but rather reflect entirely back into the water? (Assume nwater = 1.33 and nair = 1.)
10. A student is analyzing the behavior of a light ray that is passed through a small opening and a lens and allowed to project on a screen a distance away. What happens to the central maximum (the brightest spot on the screen) when the slit becomes narrower?
11. Which of the following are able to produce a virtual image?
I. Convex lens
II. Concave lens
III. Plane mirror
12. Monochromatic red light is allowed to pass between two different media. If the incident angle in medium 1 is 30° and the incident angle in medium 2 is 45°, what is the relationship between the speed of the light in medium 2 compared to that in medium 1?
13. A scientist looks through a microscope with two thin lenses with m1 = 10 and m2 = 40. What is the overall magnification of this microscope?
14. Imagine that a beam of monochromatic light originates in air and is allowed to shine upon the flat surface of a piece of glass at an angle of 60° with the normal. The reflected and refracted beams are perpendicular to each other. What is the index of refraction of the glass?
15. Which of the following will not result in the splitting of white light into its component colors?
* MCAT is a registered trademark of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). This website is not endorsed or approved by AAMC.
All content of site and practice tests copyright © 2015 Max.sitemap
contactlink to us